Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Erotic language

English is not my language.

But neither is the erotic vocabulary of my native tongue.

There were so many years when I felt the words connected with sex were soiled, sullied. The dirty words were too, well, dirty - and not in a good way. The romantic metaphors were too silly. The correct words were too clinical. They all bore connotations that I felt very uncomfortable with, and I wouldn't take them into my mouth. I think that's why I've never been very vocal while having sex.

I didn't even feel comfortable reading them, which became a problem when I first started looking for erotic stories online. That, and the fact that my native language is so small that there isn't much quality supply, made me look for erotica in English instead.

And suddenly, to me, the words were free. They meant what I wanted them to mean. I filled them with meaning and with emotion as I pleased (and as I moved along I also learned quite a few words describing phenomena I'd never known existed, so I had no words for them at all in my language).

It was like learning a new language, and I learned it first by reading, then by chatting. After just a few weeks of chatting (okay, I'll admit I spent a lot of my awake time chatting) I could say things I'd never had words to express in my own language. (So there's a tip for those of you looking to learn a foreign language...) And when I ventured into phone sex... I could talk.

I have tried chatting and emailing on erotic topics in my native tongue, but I'm still not comfortable with it, and I wonder if I ever will be. So when I started this blog, using English was an easy decision. Of course, it will always be a foreign language, and there are times when I wish I could express myself with the ease and individual style that I do in my own language.

But erotically - I consider English to be my native tongue.

4 comments:

  1. Well, Johanna, I am astonished that English isn't your native tongue! your command of english suggests the opposite. Your writing, your vocabulary, your comprehension, your construct. I am very impressed indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clive, thankyou so much! Like I said - erotic chatting is quite the learning experience, in more than one aspect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hunh, wow. I'd have thought you were a native English speaker as well... and I'm an English teacher. I think your English is probably better than most native speakers!

    Having said that, I have the opposite problem. I can't communicate erotically with my bf because I just don't know the language and I'm scared to even try for fear that I might make a fool of myself and say something ridiculous. I need to find some Italian resources I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cande, you simply have to start chatting in Italian then! Start with stories, then on to chat.. boyfriend is in for a surprise ;-)

    ReplyDelete